July 2018, there were over 900 animals at MCAS alone. Plea after plea have been put out for adopters, fosters and rescues to step up and help. Operation Pets Alive is seeking to expand both our Dog/Puppy, Kitten/Cat Foster Teams so we can help answer that plea.
As a rescue who partners with both the Montgomery County Animal Shelter (MCAS) and the Conroe Animal Adoption Center (CAAC), the availability of foster homes directly impacts our ability to help these open-intake shelters. Puppies and kittens wait in overcrowded shelters for us. Pets with medical needs wait. We have a number of pups in boarding, that also need foster homes. Summer is a challenging time, not only because intakes at shelters heat up, but because within OPA, we also have existing foster families taking vacations. If you have ever thought about fostering, make NOW the time to take that jump.
When you foster for OPA, you will not be alone. You join a family of dedicated fosters, willing to walk you through every step. Last year alone, OPA rescued over 3,125 pets from our local shelters, and from within our community, plus impacted the lives of countless other through our Core Programs. But we need your help to keep saving lives.
If you’re ready to be part of the solution for a No Kill Montgomery County, read on below, then contact us.
What does it take to be a foster?
- A fondness for our canine and feline friends
- A willingness to open your heart and home to a pet in need
- Provide food, basic care, and socialization in a safe, home environment
- Bring your foster(s) to veterinary appointments
- Create and upload a bio and photos for your foster(s)
- If short-term fostering for transport ~ bring your foster(s) to Transport departure location
- If fostering for local adoption ~ bring your foster(s) to weekly Local Adoption Events
What will OPA provide?
- All veterinary service needed, medications, spay/neuter surgery
- Support through your fellow dedicated Cat or Dog Foster Teams
- Help with marketing your pet through our OPA social media sites, AdoptAPet.com and other pet adoption sites
- Access to OPA Adoption Events every weekend (if fostering for local adoption)
How do I get started?
Drop us an email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Can’t foster but want to help?
We have many Volunteer opportunities to support our Core Programs of Adoption, Foster, Transport, Community Cats/TNR. Duties can range from Data Entry, Marketing, assisting at Adoption Events, with the TNR of Community Cats, driving animals to vet appointments or to adoption events, helping at weekly vetting, our fundraising efforts. The possibilities are endless.
Please join us! We hold New Volunter Orientations the last Wednesday of every month, beginning at 6:30 pm, at the South Lake Community Center in the Woodlands (2235 Lake Robbins Dr. Room 107). Visit our Woodlands Online Event Calendar for all the details.
OR drop an email to our Volunteer Coordinator at: email@example.com